gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

1999 VW passat: no power in the fuel pump, I need to know to location

A have a 1.8 1999 VW passat , there is no power in the fuel pump, I need to know to location of the fuel pump and the number of it
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 years ago.

There have been some occurrences of the fuel pump failing on Passats. If you lift up your rear seat, you will find an access panel on the right side, held down by three phillips screws. Under that is the fuel pump access, and the electrical connector. I would check for power to the connector while cranking (the two outer wires are power and ground, the two inner wires are for the fuel level sender)

If you have seats with fold-down backrests, the seat bottom should have a short "pull strap" under the front edge of the seat cushion, and the seat will flip forward.

If you do not, then the front edge of the seat needs to be pulled up hard on the left and right sides to release a metal clip. Then working at each end of the cushion at a time, keep it somewhat flat but push it toward the rear, and it will unhook a tab from the rear edge of the seat, and you should be able to lift the seat out. Reinstallation is the reverse, put the rear edge in place and push it toward the rear, checking that the hook catches and holds it down, and then snap the front edge downward.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have power in the fuel pump. I have already found where the fuel pump is located and foundthere is no powernow i am interested in whether the relay is the problem and where the relay is and what number relay t would be

Check the fuse first. It should be in the fuse panel on the side of the dash, it will be the second (or sometimes third) fuse from the bottom on the far left side.

If that's OK, let me have your VIN and I will check the wiring diagram and component locations

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Vin Number is XXXXX

OK- your fuel pump fuse IS the third from the bottom, on the left side, it is a 15a.

The fuel pump relay is #4, counting from the left on the top row of relays. (accessible from under the dash) It should have a control # XXXXX 208 printed on top. The relay powers terminal 87, which powers the fuse, which feeds the pump. If the fuel pump relay is not operating, it will also not power fuse 29, which powers almost all the other engine components like the MAF, etc.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the power fuse 29? Ande the relay terminal 87?

Fuse 28 is third from the bottom, fuse 29 is second from the bottom, etc... Both of those fuses are powered by the fuel pump relay.

Terminal 87 on the relay, if you pull the relay out you will see that each of the terminals is labeled next to it, there is also a diagram of the relay "internals" on the side of the relay.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just checked on my car and saw that fuse 28 and fuse 29 both don't have power when you turn the key to start contact.
So either you have a bad fuel pump relay, or a bad ignition switch. I would pull the relay and make sure that you have power at the terminal 30 on the fuel pump relay.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I checked my relay on top the upper left corner is 214,79,X,384,X,205

THE "X" being empty. Please explain to me where relay power terminal 87 would be

Do you have the correct relay? It should have a "280" in white printed on the top. The terminal positions are printed on the BOTTOM, next to each terminal where it comes out. And there should be an electrical diagram on the SIDE of the relay.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it 208 or 280 because you mentioned both and I dont have either. My 4th on top is 384.
I'm sorry- it is 208, and it should actually be the row of relays on the main relay panel- so the bottom row. The two rows above that are the secondary relay panel. You should be able to pull that relay and check the terminal numbers on the bottom.