vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified

2007 VW Passat: Wagon is not starting consistantly..push..rhyme

Customer Question

2007 VW Passat 4motion Wagon is not starting consistantly. when we push the key in, it turns over then shuts down. it may do this 5 to 10 times before actually starting. it does not do this everytime...there seems to be no rhyme or reason. the engine may be warm or cold. it is worrysome as we don't want to be left out in the cold.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!!!

What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
3.6 L 6 cylinder
Ok this is a very common issue we have seen lately with the newer body passat . What happens is that the steering column control module is faulty and will need to be replaced the only issue if that you will have to replace the comfort control module with it also they are both tied together and they both need to be programmed to each other wich can only be done with a vw specific scan tool. The steering column control module does not come separate you will need to get the whole steering column this job should only be done by a certified trained technician . I hope this helps.

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and advice given thanks!!