Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2006 jetta tdi: pulls..clutch pedal..no resistance, not disengaging

2006 jetta tdi 1.9 diesel clutch problem. The vehicle still pulls the clutch pedal is not correct. It has no resistance, not disengaging. The fluid level is fed off of the brake master and was low, but after filling it up and attemping to bleed it is no better. No leak from master or slave both are dry. Is there a special procedure for bleeding? Or what else could it be?
thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
Customer

So you removed the slave cylinder from the transmission and inspected it for leaks with it removed?

If the brake fluid was really low it may have had air in it, you pumped the clutch pedal by hand and then loosened the bleeder at the slave cylinder correct?

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I removed the slave and it was dry. I have gravity bled and also pumped the pedal and then opened the bleeder. done this several times and does not seem any better.

Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I would try bleeding the clutch with the vacuum bleeder. Also, have you tried pushing the throwout fork with your finger with the slave cylinder removed to see if there's any resistance, it's a bit common for the throwout fork to snap on VW transmissions.

DO NOT push the clutch pedal with the slave cylinder removed it will destroy the slave cylinder.

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

l have removed the slave and pushed the plunger in and held it against the cyl head and had some one push on the pedal slow and it appears to be working. The harder I push against it the harder the pedal gets. When it is put back in I can hear the fork or something moving inside the bell housing, but the fork is not loose and it still does not disengage the the disc. I have never had a jetta apart so I am not familar with the physics of the t.o. bearing. The part of the fork that I am looking at looks to be stamped steel where the slave plunger seats on the fork. Could something in the bell housing still be messed up.

Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
The throwout setup is just like most manual transmissions on this car, a throwout bearing fork stuck to a pivot ball on the opposite side of the fork and pushed by the slave that pushes the throwout bearing into the pressure plate. The difference is that on these transmissions the fork snaps in half or bends sometimes.

If your slave cylinder is working I'd bet that's what happened. Here's the fun part, TDIs use a dual mass flywheel. Guessing by your name I'm guessing you may be a Ford guy which also use a dual mass flywheel (Powerstrokes do). The flywheel is like $600 alone without the clutch kit. They make single mass flywheel conversions though that come with a clutch and everything. These are usually like $600 for everything. I'd go that route if I were you. Only thing is my wholesaler shows that they won't be in stock till the 20th of this month and I think it's because they are just starting to be released to the market. So you might have to wait 2 weeks to save yourself $500. I'd yard the trans out.

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok the trans is out. the pressure plate and the disc is the problem, on finger is missing and the disc friction material is missing on one side half the way around. The flywheel look great with no scoring. what is the deal with the flywheel why should I replace it, I can get a sachse disc and pressure plate for 210 and the t.o. bearing for 40. I cant really believe it was not slipping or chattering. The fork looks ok
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
Nice, you're pretty quick. The deal with the flywheel is that they have springs inside of it and they break. There's actually a recall on them in Europe and Australia but I don't think here in the US. It's meant to cushion the change in engine velocity when pushing or releasing the gas pedal and take the jerkyness from clutch operation.

They cannot be turned. I guess if it was my car I would also just throw a clutch kit in it for now as well to try to get as much life from the flywheel as possible especially if it isn't scored. Just keep in mind in the longrun if you do have flywheel problems pick up the single mass conversion.

And please remember to hit accept when we're done or the site won't compensate me for my time.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner