Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

What is the drive cycle for 99 VW Beetle 2.0ltr?

what is the drive cycle for 99 VW Beetle 2.0ltr?
Category: VW
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I drive cycle is a complicated series of different types of driving such as accerlating and deacclerating at certain speeds, braking at certain speeds, certain temps, ect.....pretty complicated and you would want to bring it to dealrship for them to complete the drive cycle. If your check engine light is on then you have other problems. Give me the exact codes your getting and I can tell you some likely problems. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I an not getting any codes at all because most of the error codes are fixed. I just need to do the drive cycle so that I can pass the smog check. I need the drive cycle process for a 99 VW Beetle.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Here is the drive cycle, let me know if you have questions. Thanks

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a drive cycle for Volkswagen GTI. I need the drive cycle for Volkswagen Beetle.

Step 1

(Engine Cold) Start engine, idle 20 seconds. Accelerate gradually and drive at 20-25 mph for 1 minute, varying speed.

Step 2

Accelerate gradually to 32 mph within 35 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle for 40 seconds.

Step 3

Accelerate at part throttle to 25 mph in 10 seconds. Cruise at 17-25 mph for 15 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 57 mph in 45 seconds. Cruise at 50-56 mph for 1 minute. Decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 40 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Step 4

Accelerate at part throttle to 36 mph and maintain for 10 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Step 5

Accelerate to 30 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 20 seconds.

Step 6

Accelerate to 36 mph inXXXXXat 35 mph for 20 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 15 seconds. Idle 5 seconds.

Step 7

Accelerate gradually to 26 mph and decelerate to 0 within 40 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Step 8

Accelerate to 27 mph in 40 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 25 seconds.

Step 9

Accelerate to 26 mph in 15 seconds, maintain speed for 10 seconds, decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle 15 seconds.

Step 10

Accelerate to 23 mph in 20 seconds, decelerate to 0.5 mph in 10 seconds (no complete stop). Accelerate to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second) within 35 seconds.

Step 11

Accelerate gradually to 34 mph in 45 seconds. Vary speed between 34 and 19 mph for 2 minutes. Decelerate from 25 to 0 mph in 25 seconds. Idle for 5 seconds.

Step 12

Accelerate to 29 mph in 15 seconds, decelerate gradually to 0 mph in 45 seconds. Idle for 30 seconds.

Step 13

Accelerate gradually to 28 mph and back to 0 mph (momentary stop 1 second) within 50 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 27 mph and back to 0 mph within 55 seconds. Idle for 15 seconds.

Step 14

Accelerate to 24 mph and back to 0 mph within 18 seconds. Idle for 10 seconds. Accelerate gradually to 22 mph and back to 0 mph within 50 seconds. Idle for 8 seconds. Step 15 Accelerate gradually to 30 mph within 50 seconds. Decelerate to 0 mph in 10 seconds. Idle for 25 seconds.

Step 16

Accelerate to 23 mph and back to 0 mph within 30 seconds. Idle for 10 seconds.

Step 17

Repeat steps 1 - 16 once again. Recheck the status of the "Readiness Monitors".

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
They must have the same drive cycle because I'm pulling this same procedure up for a Beetle. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If they are the same drive cycle, you think it would set the readiness monitors (I/M Monitors) to ok state instead of incomplete. I've recently erase the codes after performing the necessary tune-up for my 99 VW Beetle and all of the error codes are no longer showing up but now that I need to get it smog check, it is failing because the following is not ready:

Catalyst Monitor Incomplete
Evap System Monitor Incomplete
Secondary Air System Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Monitor Incomplete

The smog check failure is because of recent computer reset so the guy from the smog check told me to drive it for a while. I drove it for over 100 miles today but did not change the status. I hope this drive cycle will set it to the okay or ready state.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
If the drive cycle is done correct then it should set it to the OK state assuming it passes everything. You may need to try it a few times because its picky about making sure everything is done exactly as it shows. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, I will try this tomorrow morning and I will let you know if it works.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was not able to perform the drive cycle because I had to replace some other parts on my car and some are in back order. But thank you for your help.

-Vman.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thats good to hear it is up and running like it should. When there are problems that dont turn on the check engine light it makes things a little confusing. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Everything is running like it should after I've replaced the pre-converter 02 sensor, MAF, and the Ignition Coil. The Ignition Coil had a cracked on it.

But now I have another problem, the main fuel supply line had a leak and I had a hard time looking for replacement but finally I found a dealer that can get me the parts.

-Vman.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Well let me know if you run into any problems and I'll see what can do, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
No problem.