Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

How to replace the cam shaft seals on a 2002 vw jetta 1.

Customer Question

How to replace the cam shaft seals on a 2002 vw jetta 1.8
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.

Are you talking about the camshaft adjuster unit seal at the backside of the cylinder head or the round seals on the timing belt side of the engine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure exactly where it is. The dealer told me the cam adjuster seals. So I guess yes. Also what brand and where to get the seals. Is the vale cover gasket pretty straight froward? I was told that needs to be changed too.
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Ok pretty easy and yes the valve cover comes off so you can get to the cam adjuster seals.

Once the valve cover is removed you need this tool.

or google vw3366 tool to find one for sale (try ebay)

then you remove the 4 bolts shown here (they're T30 torx) I'd like to note next to the right lower

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do I need this set of tools?
Set of Three tools including VW 3366, T40011 and T10092
Its the last on on the list of that link you sent me.
Also can you provide me a step by step install and removal?
Or a link that will explain better?
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
The only tool you need is the VW3366, the other tools.

There isn't any instructions to do it this way because according to the book (and what they're charging you to do) you're supposed to remove the camshafts but nobody does it that way.

You remove the upper engine cover, remove the ignition coils from on top of the spark plugs, remove the 10mm nuts holding the valvecover on. There's a breather hose on the valve cover you need to remove. Then remove the valve cover, screw the VW3366 into the cam adjuster, remove the 4 T40 torx screws showing in above picture, lift up on the cam adjuster and use a pick shaped tool to remove the cam adjuster seals, coat the rubber seal from the kit in this blue stuff called hylomar or you can ask for the blue sealant at the dealer ($70 for the tube of it). You also put the blue stuff on the valvecover gasket on the corners and you put it back together.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Cool thank you
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
No problem, if you get stuck you can come back here and respond to me for assistance.