Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

how much should it cost to replace rear brake pads and rotors

how much should it cost to replace rear brake pads and rotors on a 2003 VW Passat?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Customer

That really depends on where you take it, their shoprate, and if the parts are factory or not. Basically at my shop it's about $250 or so installed, more like $450 installed at the dealer. Most shops mark their parts up to list so usually you're going to be talking $350 - $450 for quality factory parts installed. Is that about what you were quoted?

Danny
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was quoted $150 for the brake pads and $200 for the rotors and I am not sure if they are factory parts. Are you saying that you charge $250 for both installed? Also, do both need to be replaced at the same time or can they be done separately?
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
I replace them at the same time, it's industry standard because rotors are so thin that if you turn them they warp.

Is that $350 installed? I charge $250 but I'm not the norm, I only charge $60 an hour and barely mark my parts up, definitely not to list.

Danny
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Danny and it is $350 installed. Please confirm if this is a good deaI. Also, I have ONE last question before I accept. The same mechanic quoted me $290 to replace the ABS sensor light? Is this is a fair price and do I even need to replace the sensor right now if I am going to have the brake pads replaced? Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Ok, so if those parts are original parts that's a good price, if they are aftermarket parts then it isn't a great deal but it isn't the worst deal ever.

As far as the ABS sensor if that's the front sensor that's about right, for a rear sensor that's probably a little high, and if your ABS light is on changing the pads isn't going to fix that.

Danny