vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2004 VW Passat: wont start..cranks..fuel filter, battery, spark plugs

we have a 2004 VW Passat, won't start in the winter, until third try, usually a 15-20 minute process.
car cranks, cranks cranks won't start, we have changed, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery, spark plugs, ignition coils, etc. no luck, still won't start in the mornings. Please help
Welcome to just answer!!!

What engine is in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a 1.8 T, 4 cylinder, standard transmission
How often does this happen in the winter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The entire winter, starting in late November and ending in april, we are now in our third winter and my husband is ready to drive the car into the river Surprised
I have noticed that you have done a lot of work to the car for this concern . When the car does not start do you know if you get any faults in the ecm or a check engine light ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just went out to try and start it, when it didn't start the panel displayed:

EPC Electric Power Control

MIL Malfunction Indicator Lamp

Generator

All of which come on when the ignition is turned on and goes out after the engine is started. The car eventually started and they no longer displayed, all went out.

Ok 2 possible issue you may be having are carbon built up on the valves Wichita is common to happen on our v6 models but I have seen in on the 4 cylinder engine also or you could have a possible issue with the crank sensor located next to the oil cooler .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

could you please explain, what the effect of carbon build up on the valves would be?

Also I don't understand your response "wichita"

also what is the effect of a possible issue with a crank sensor located next to the oil cooler?

Thank you

Sorry for the mis communication if you have a faulty crank sensor wich pick ups the signal from the crankshaft it will not produce any spark for the engine to start we have sen a lot of issues in the past where you would have a issue with the crank sensor and sometimes it would not start and other times it would. Now the issue with the carbon build up is very common on the v6 engine not so much on the 4 cylinder like yours but i have seen it before what happens is that the carbon piles up on top of the valve and then the engine does not have the correct compression to start , a good way to get rid of the carbon is running a decarb trough the engine to get rid of the carbon built up on the valves. I hope this has helped.Heres a picture of the crank sensor also called the engine speed sensor.

graphic

Please dont forget to click accept for my answer and advice thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One last thing, we have been loosing tail lights and head lights very often, any chance there is any connection?

Don't really think they are connected issues . The passage are common for headlight bulbs .