Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Certified to fix all makes and models

2001 Volkswagen Beetle: wont start..driven..parked..ignition switch

I have a 2001 Volkswagen Beetle (Diesel) that won't start. I have driven it for the past three years without issue and then one day I parked it in my driveway and the next morning it wouldn't start. I have checked the starter, battery, ignition switch, and starter relay/fuses and all seem to be working properly. I have just about exhausted my local VW dealers knowledge on the subject (over the phone, since it won't crank to take it in). Any ideas?
How many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has approximately 213,000.
Is this a 1.8L motor?When was the timing belt replaced last?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the 1.8L Diesel. Not sure on the belt.
Ok then this is what needs to be checked first .Theres a really good chance this jumped time or the belt broke.This would be the first step is to check timing.If timing is good tne need to check for fuel pressure and spark.You might also want to do a compression check.First thing to do is check timing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Let me further explain. The car will start when I jump across the starter. It appears to be some electrical issue. I should stated that to begin with... I been looking at this for so long, I just forgot to mention it. Once statered it runs fine. Its just a matter of getting it started. Sorry about the confusion...
Ok so when it runs its fine ok.Is this a manual transmission?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK so you had the starter benched test and the relay checked out ok?Will it start in neutral ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. Same results in park and neutral.
So the starter was not tested correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The starter seems to work fine when I jump across (i.e. bypass the ignition switch).
Ok then the problem is the electrical part of the ignitionswitch itself .This portion of the switch shorts out and causes this issue .I would start here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Even though I have tried a new ignition switch and had the same results?
Oh im sorry I didnt no it was replaced already was it a factory switch?It was the electrical part of the switch correct?

Edited by Cardoctor74 on 12/22/2009 at 7:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was a drop in replacement. I got it from O'Reilys.
Ok honestly I would use a factory switch.This is very common for this car .Heres a trouble shooting chart for you to use.But I would get a factory switch and see if theres still an issue.

Hoped this helped .

Positive feedback greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!