vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

1998 Vw Passat: no dipstick for the transmission fluid and that there

How do I check and fill the transmission fluid on a 1998 Vw Passat Wagon. I am under the notion that there is no dipstick for the transmission fluid and that there is a plug under the engine but where is it located?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer!!!

Do you have the newer rounder body style passat or the square body i ask because the 98 was a split year in body style?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think the newer round body style..to be honest with you I have no idea and how would I tell? I will look to see when the month it was made if there is one on vw I know there is on other cars such as ford.
I can find out just give me the vin#
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay it is actually a 97 but was manufactured in 09/96! It has the Vr6 engine

ok let me try to get you the info and a picture on that give me a couple of minutes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome thank you!!
Ok i will show you where the drain and fill plugs are there might not be a way for you to check the fluid at home what we usually do at the shop is get the car running at operating temperature and remove the drain plug snd then fill at the fill plug until we get fluid out of the drain hole then plug it up .

graphic

Drain
graphic

Above the pan there is a fill plug

I hope this helps

Pleease dont forget to click accept for my answer and advice given to you today thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a special transmission fluid that has to be used that only are in vw or would any transmissions fluid work? Also does it take a special type tool to remove the plug?

The plug at the bottom of the transmision pan is a 4 or 5 allen .On the fluid i would only use vw specific trans fluid from the dealer especially if the vehicle is shifting bad.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay thank you!! I haven't had a problem with it shifting until the cold weather has hit this year. When I start the car there is a hesitation to move and when it finally takes off it does a noticable jerk and then accelerates and this takes place until the car reaches about 160 in temp. But if we have a warm day and night the car doesn't hesitate to move or does the jerking. When I am driving the car after it is warm there is no slipping and the car performs perfectly.
You will need to start by checking and adding if needed the transmission fluid. It may be low.

Please dont forget to click accept for all the advice given to you so far today !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you a ton and you have been great help!!! Hopefully this will fix my problem!! Have a great day and a Merry Christmas!!
Please dont forget to click accept this is the only way i get compensated for my time and knowledge . Merry Christmas!!
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician VW Certified