Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

2001 vw jetta: i recieved a 1296 trouble code..with a turbo

Customer Question

i recieved a 1296 trouble code on my 2001 vw jetta 1.8 wolfsburg edition with a turbo and its not listed any where what that code is. I am wondering what the code is saying is the problem. Any help would be great thanks.
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Customer

It's a cooling system malfunction, it means you have a bad temp sensor or thermostat, usually a bad thermostat. Check the color of the temp sensor in the cooling flange on the side of the cylinder head and replace it if it's black or green with a yellow dot (they are the ones that have problems) if it's just green leave it alone.

The thermostat is on the block to the right of the alternator, just remove the tray from the front of the intake manifold and remove the two bolts that hold the plastic flange to the block just of the right of the alternator. The thermostat is behind that.

Danny
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i lso recieved 420 trouble code. does that mean its an 02 sensor problem? I only ask because i was told that a 420 code could be caused by the coolant temp sensor also but the book claims O2 or catalytic converter problems.
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
No, p0420 is a faulty catalytic converter. The book is a generice book and VWs don't throw that code when they have a bad O2 sensor they will ALWAYS throw a bad 02 fault when they have one.

This is because the car is running colder than normal so it's overworking the cat, replace the tstat and clear faults, the p0420 probably won't come back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you. You have been a big help.
Expert:  Danny replied 6 years ago.
Not a problem.