Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

I have a 2003 VW Jetta with a Monsoon Sound System. The radio

I have a 2003 VW Jetta with a Monsoon Sound System. The radio turns on, but none of the buttons work (except CD eject) and there is no sound. Any ideas what to do?
Djay z,

There's not too much you can do, this is the way these radios fail. About all you can try doing is removing the negative battery cable from the battery and touching it to the positive cable (it can still be installed on the battery if you'd like or if you feel safer you can disconnect it) and then remove and reinstall fuse 42 (fuse diagram shown below), the fuse panel is on the driver's side of the dash, open the door and pop the panel loose. If that doesn't work it's time for another radio, I don't recommend another used one because they have an extremely high failure rate and new ones are $700 at the dealer. Your best bet is to go to a stereo shop and get an aftermarket one put in.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Been there, done that (including removing fuse).

I've heard there are a lot of problems replacing with an aftermarket system because special adapters are needed for the antenna, and wiring in general is "unique" - so I really didn't want to go there.
There isn't a lot of issues with aftermarket radios in these, most of my customers have aftermarket radios and there aren't any problems. There are adapter harnesses to make the stuff plug right in and the ONLY issue is that when the harnesses were designed originally it was before the radios were actually a control module and they used to output a 12v signal to a certain wire. In 1998 that wire turned into the communication wire for the car and so sometimes if the stereo shop doesn't know what's up they leave the wire connected then the mechanic shop has to pop the radio out and cut the wire.

It's your choice, spend $100 on a radio that WILL fail on you or spend $700 on a radio that just plays music when you could spend $500 or less and get a DVD/Navigation unit from a stereo shop. Even at the dealership we would send people to bestbuy or whatever. I would personally go to BestBuy or another stereo shop.

Please remember to hit accept so the site will compensate me for my time.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The reason I came here was to find a "fix" for my problem - not just to be told that the system need to be replaced Frown

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that might know something that can be done other than replacing the whole thing
There ISN'T a fix, trust me if there was VW would be doing it rather than replacing radios under warranty when I was there. There is a place that rebuilds them that I just found

For like $300. I'm trying to give you advice here, you may have come here for a fix but if there isn't one I can't just waive a magic wand and make your radio work. The radios are junk, it's a flaw in the radio from the factory. It's not just a radio, it's a computer and the software in it has a problem, what is wrong with your radio is equivelent to your hard drive in your computer at home dying, not much you can do but replace it.

ANOTHER person just posted the exact same problem about 2 minutes ago, that's how common this is. So waste your money on this radio again if you'd like but you've been warned about them.

Edited by Danny on 12/19/2009 at 7:11 PM EST