vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

2001 vw passat GLX: V6..white smoke that smelled..antifreeze

I have 2001 vw passat GLX V6 4motion and the coolent reservoir was empty and the bottom back of engine capartment underneath the reservoir was wet.This happened while driving the car and of course i got some white smoke that smelled like antifreeze.the car nevered did over heat.
Welcome to just answer!!

Have you checked for a coolant leak coming from the coolant bottle or from the hoses that go to the reservoir?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no nothing
no you did not check or no you did not find a leak?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I did not check for a leak

You stated that the vehicle did not overheat correct ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it did not over heat
Ok if the vehicle did not overheat then more then likely you have a leak on one of the hoses that goes to the coolant bottle also there is a metal pipe that goes from one side of the engine to the other side it attach's to the back of each head check that pipe make sure the seals are not leaking also make sure the heater core hoses that also attch to that pipe are not leaking . I hope this helps

Please don't forget to click accept for my answer and the advice given to you today thanks!!