RobJackson
RobJackson, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Started working in VW/Audi dealership in 1999. 2009 Registered and Certified VW Tech. ASE Master
21042506

1995 vw: replace the ignition switch..air bag, steering wheel..tumbler

How to replace the ignition switch on a 1995 vw jetta111. I can get the air bag, steering wheel and other switches removed with no problems. I am down to the key/tumbler and switch itself.
Category: VW
Expert:  RobJackson replied 7 years ago.
There is a collar on the steering column that the steering wheel goes onto and behind that you will see a spring. That collar will need to be pulled off. We have a specail puller that hooks the edge and pulls it off but I have seen guys use a hammer and chisel to knock it off. after that you will need to remove the bolt that has a break away head on it and then the swith/lock assy will slide right off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, I have seen that collar. Is it press fit? I did not see any kind of retainer and did try to put a puller on it but did not want to over stress it. Thanks. Bill
there is a very small lip just below the splines on the collar.