jjsledge
jjsledge, VW Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience Master Certified Volkswagen Technician
18093667

2004 jetta tdi: dome light..drivers door is open all others work ok

Customer Question

2004 jetta tdi dome light will not come on when drivers door is open all others work ok. and dome lights work with remotes
Category: VW
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.

hello

lets see if i can help

does the alarm arm when you lock the door with the key?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think so i have the drivers door panel off and everything unpluged when i opened the right door the dome light came on and the alarm went off but every thing was un plugged
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.

ok well what is mostlikely the problem is the door latch itself. as long as the wires in the door jam arent broken then the rotary switch in the latch is faulty.(This an internal part of the switch and can not be purchased seperately) i have replaced many of these latches for this problem. if you replace the latch you should be all set.hopefully this has answered your question please hit accept so i can be paid for my advice and as always positive feedback is appreciated

Thanks Jim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so how do you replace the door latch
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.
ok you have the door apart? or just the door panel?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just the door panel is off
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.

ok you will have to remove the exterrior lock you access the screw from the latch side there will be a blk plug ,remove the plug there will be a 25torx screw pull the handle and unscrew the screw till you can you remove the lock. after the lock is removed there is a cable attatched to the handle pop off the cable make sure it goes back on in the same place. then remove the 2 triple square bolts that hold the latch to the door. on the inside of the door there is either 10 mm bolts or 30 torx bolts that hold the inner metal panel to the door.first the window will need to be removed. remove the 2 black plugs about 2" in diameter lower the window till you can see the clamping screws loosen them then lift out the window, then remove all the bolts that hold the inner panel disconnect the wiring harnes then remove the panel the latch will be attatched to the panel replace the latch and reverse the procedure to install. if you are not comfortable with this you may want someone that is more experienced to do this procedure Hope this help

Thanks Jim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was volvo tech for 8 years but vws are there own breed thanks. A little direction always helps do you know how long this should take
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.
dont forget to hit accept thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is the flat rate time to replace this latch?
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.
1.5hrs, can be done in about 40 min once you have done it a few times
jjsledge, VW Technician
Experience: 30 yrs experience Master Certified Volkswagen Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks. your very helpfull
Expert:  jjsledge replied 4 years ago.
no problem