Jeremiah Mahler
Jeremiah Mahler, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with advanced L1, California Smog Tech, Volkswagen Certified
20551513

How do you open a boot on a new VW Beetle convertible if the

Customer Question

How do you open a boot on a new VW Beetle convertible if the buttons and remote dont work !
Category: VW
Expert:  Jeremiah Mahler replied 5 years ago.
You have to go in through the back seat. Hopefully that is not locked too.

Once inside the trunk there should be a pull tether or lever that will manually open the trunk. This is a safety device so that if someone gets trapped in the trunk they could get out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, but on the convertible the rear seats are fixed because they are part of the structure. Have tried looking for hidden screw caps etc !

There is a centre hatch, which opens towards the boot, however the boot is packed full !

Regards

That center hatch would work, but yours is blocked. If you can get the stuff out of the way that is probably the easiest.

To check if it is an electrical problem, have a second person operate the trunk button and/or remote (to open trunk) and see if you can hear the motor operating.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeremiah

Confirm no noise on operating either the remote or the driver side.

Petrol cap operates properly.

Fuses 6,17 and 38 are good, but its not clear to me that these are the proper fuses to check, I'm in England and the fuse diagrams are mirror image because we drive on the right and therefore the fuseboard is the other way up!

My lady just returned from a work trip with rather too much in the boot !

Battery takes 0.039A when boot is operated and 2.5A when petrol cap is operated. Joanne is currently performing key hole surgery removing her clothes one at a time through the centre aperture !

Regards

I like the amperage check. Smile

Here is a listing of all possibly related fuses. And the fuse box layout for a U.S. model.

S10, 10A
S14, 10A
S238, 15A
S144, 15A
S111, 15A

graphic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with advanced L1, California Smog Tech, Volkswagen Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jeremiah

Well, the boot is now open and the clothes and laptop have been recovered !

For reference on the UK model the tether is a fixed Red cap that pulls out first, then you can get a decent grip. The tether broke in the process :(

Thanks !

nice, good work!