gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

I have a 1998 vw cabrio & I know my radio code but do not know

Customer Question

I have a 1998 vw cabrio & I know my radio code but do not know how to input it. My radio is in "safe" mode ever since I had to jump start it. How can I input it & is there a way to remove this feature so this does not happen again?
Category: VW
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 4 years ago.
First if your radio is in safe mode you need to leave the key on either running or with a charger for an hour or two and then your car will allow you to enter the code.What is your code?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
0845
To enter your code you will need to hit the number 2 preset 8 times the number 3 preset 4 times and the number 4 preset 5 times.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Really that is not what I was originally told. I was told to put in all 4 numbers through the presets & then push the triangle button
No try it this way let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well i need to go leave the car on again to get out of the safe mode right??
Yes correct.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have left the car running and the radio on with safe mode displaying is that correct
Yes correct
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How will I know when it is ready for the code to be put in & is there any thing to do once I put in code

It should come out of safe mode
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I will let you know what happens
Ok let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
almost 2 hours and still says safe....any ideas??
Ok try entering the code now the way I stated and let me know if it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no nothing happens it stills says safe.....
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 4 years ago.

Hold down "mode" and "scan" and it should change from "SAFE" to "1000". You should then be able to change the digits with the preset buttons to your code, and then hold "mode" and "scan" again to accept it.

If it says "SAFE" but doesn't have a number on the screen at the same time, it is not locked up, but if there is a number on the screen that is indicating how many "incorrect" attempts have been made. You have three chances, and then you would have to leave the radio on for an hour to reset it.

gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified