Jeremiah Mahler
Jeremiah Mahler, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with advanced L1, California Smog Tech, Volkswagen Certified
20551513

2002 vw golf dome lights will not turn off automatically

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  Jeremiah Mahler replied 4 years ago.
Do either of the lights on the doors stay on as well? Is the door ajar light on in the instrument cluster?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no to both ?
Do lights on the door work when you open and close the door as they are supposed to?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was just coming to that the dome does not come on and the warning light on drivers door does not work
You most likely have a bad driver door latch.
When the electrical switch inside the latch fails it can signal that the door is open when it is actually closed or vice versa.
This can make all sorts of strange things happen. The dome light may go on at the wrong time or not go on at all. The chime from the cluster may not work. The door ajar light may not come on. And the alarm may sporadically go off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I fix this myself?
It depends how mechanically inclined you are.

You have to remove the door panel, door window, and loosen the window regulator (carrier). Then you have to remove the outer door lock to disconnect it from the latch. Then you can disconnect the electrical connector, unbolt the latch and replace it. You will need a triple square bit (XZN) (12 mm?) to remove the bolts that hold on the latch.

If you decide to have this repair done expect to pay around 1.5 hours in labor.
Experience: ASE Master Certified with advanced L1, California Smog Tech, Volkswagen Certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You
no problem, glad I could help Smile