David L.
David L., VW Technician
Experience:  14 years Nissan/Infiniti with certifications. 8 years VW experience and certified

2000 jetta: latch..trunk lid is not clicking to the lock position

have a 2000 jetta and the trunk latch is not locking. It is the part that is actually in the trunk lid is not clicking to the lock position. I have tried WD-40. I have tried to lock it by using the key in the trunk lid. It makes the noise but does not lock. Any ideas?
Category: VW
Expert:  David L. replied 6 years ago.

Hi.....I would like to assist you with your question... From what you are describing It sounds like your upper latch on the trunk lid itself is no good. These do go bad on occassion, what happens is the latch mechanism either wears down or breaks where it cannot latch anymore. So it it most likely it will have to be replaced. the part is fairly inexpensive and easy to install. should be around the 60 dollar mark for the part depending on the dealer. the only other thing you may want to check is the opposite end of the latch that is on the body. Sometimes this can come loose and move making it hard to latch. Contact me if you have further questions regarding this issue. Thanks, David

Please click Accept if my answer has helped and you are satisfied....positive feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!