marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
Experience:  i-car/Basf training, 300 repairs and 650,000 in Collision monthly 18 yrs exp/licensed adjuster
17579256

2003 Kia Sorento: mi..drivers side headlight..intermittent..bulb

Customer Question

2003 Kia Sorento w/ 145k mi. Driver's side headlight (Hi-beam, H1) has intermittent open circuit. Definitely not bulb. I've replaced it & both new and old bulbs check OK for continuity. Not a fuse problem, as the pass. side hi-beam is unaffected, and they're not fused seperately. Last time I pulled the headlight (& replaced the H1) the socket checked 'dead' at first, and then suddenly was 'live.' The light worked for about a week, and now is out again.

Where is the problem likely to be?
Category: VW
Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to just answer. Its in the wiring or connection someplace behind that socket did you do a ohm reading on them
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. Haven't checked resistance. So far, it seems to be either 'on' or 'off' as I said--an intermittent open circuit. What would I look for, exactly? Are you familiar with this particular vehicle? Is there a connector or other component that you've seen fail?
Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
Look fro frayed wiring check the backside of connector also look for friction points on wiring and lastly make sure the ground is good and tight.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'll pull it apart tomorrow & look again. I'll get back to you afterward--probably 24 hrs from now.

Expert:  marcpod replied 7 years ago.
ok let me know