Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

My 2002 VW Jetta epc and abs light is on how do I fix it Also

Customer Question

My 2002 VW Jetta epc and abs light is on how do I fix it? Also because of this when I am driving the car shuts off. What is this all about?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
Customer you need to use a scan tool to get me fault codes to be sure, most likely you have a bad crank sensor thay is why the epc light is on but the abs code is unrelated and you may have to pay to get that scanned.

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But why does it shut off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But why does it shut off
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.

The crankshaft position sensor tells the engine computer where the crank is in it's rotational sequence. Since a crank rotates 2 times for every time the camshafts rotate one, it's necessary to figure out crank speed to determine when to trigger the fuel injectors and the coils. So if there's no crank signal the car will just die out.

Also next time it happens crank the engine over and see if the tachometer moves. If it doesn't then that's the problem.

Either way, just get the fault codes and I'll tell you what's wrong.

Danny

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But here is my problem when driving it feels as though as if it going to shut off but if I hit the gas pedal quick enough it cut off some times.

Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
I'm telling you it's probably because the car doesn't know the engine speed. You NEED to scan the check engine light. I could go on and on about why I think it's that such as that the EPC light only comes on for certain sensors like the mass airflow sensor, brake light switch, or fuel trim issues, and the crank sensor. Or the fact that the engine on one of these will only die for a vacuum leak, a bad crank sensor, or fuel pump problems but that fuel pumps also will cause a severe lack of powerwhich you aren't complaining of.

There's about 3 things that will cause this, and once you get me a fault code I'll tell you what it is. Even once you fix the thing you won't be able to clear the light without the scan tool.