gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

my 1999 jetta shifts hard what do i check

Customer Question

Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 years ago.

There are too many variables- you could have a fault in the engine control module that deals with torque (such as the engine coolant temp sensor or the mass air flow sensor) that will affect the shifting of the transmission, or it could be a transmission issue. If you don't have an obvious problem like a leaking transmission (leading to low fluid and low pressure) then you are going to need to have the faults scanned.

Large auto parts chains like Autozone will scan faults for free, but will only be able to pull OBD codes, not proprietary VW codes, and will probably not be able to scan your transmission. It is, however, a free first step before having to find a dealership or someone with Ross-Tech VAG-COM software.