David L.
David L., VW Technician
Experience:  14 years Nissan/Infiniti with certifications. 8 years VW experience and certified

im putting outer tie rod ends on a 2001 passat. how do i tell

Customer Question

im putting outer tie rod ends on a 2001 passat. how do i tell if the inner ones are bad? Also, how do i put the inner tie rod ends in?
Category: VW
Expert:  David L. replied 6 years ago.
Hi I would likke to assist you with your question. just give me a minute and I will type your answer.
Expert:  David L. replied 6 years ago.

The way to tell if the inner rods are bad all you need to do is wiggle the tire back and forth with the tie rod connected too feel if there is play in the ball type joint inside the rubber boot on the rack. you can also do this with the outer tie rod disconnected. There sould be no play in them. Normally the inner rods do not go bad. Usually we replace when the outer tie rods are siezed and cannot be loosened from the inners. Or sometimes water gets in the rubber boot and causes rust inside the inner rod joint. To replace the inners you would have to remove the outer tie rods first by unscrewing the all the way out once loosened. Then remove the rubber boots by removing the clamp that holds them to the rack. then you just slide them off. Once removed you will have to turn the wheel to either extreme to have better access to the big nut that holds them to the rack. I just use a big adjustable wrenchon them to loosen. then just screw them off too. You will have to turn the wheel to the opposite side to access the other inner rod nut. Contact me if you have further questions regarding this issue. Thanks, David

Please click Accept if my answer has helped and you are satisfied....positive feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!