Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

How do you test an ecu on a 96 jetta 2.0 new coil and module no spark

how do you test an ecu on a 96 jetta 2.0 new coil and module no spark
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

Customer,

Did you checked the hall sender on the distributor or the crank position sensor? I've never had to replace an ECM on a VW before so I doubt that's the problem. I think you probably have a bad crank position sensor.

Danny

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I checked the hall sender by test light to positive terminal and got a clean pulse. will a bad crank sensor cause no spark?
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

Yes it will, it's the most common thing that will cause a no spark condition. If you are getting a pulse on the middle wire at the distributor then I would suspect a bad crank sensor.

There's not a good way to test the crank sensor unfortunately that I've seen, do you have a scan tool to check for codes? Does the tachometer move when you crank the engine?

Danny