Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

I have a 2001 vw jetta 2.0l liter. I have a cylinder 4 misfire.

I have a 2001 vw jetta 2.0l liter. I have a cylinder 4 misfire. ive tried replacing the sparkplug and wires. At my last oil change the place told me i could use high mileage oil instead of my typical synthetic. I am totally broke and my car is running badly. I was told i may have a cylinder problem and may cost as much ass 1800 to 2000 dollars to fix. Am i screwed or are there any cheap possibilities that i may have missed
Category: VW
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
This is likely a failed coil. Remove the coil and swap it with another cylinder to see if problem moves if so replace coil if not you can do the same thing with a fuel injector to see if problem moves. The only way this should be too expensive is if you have a engine mechanical problem. You can verify there is no engine mechanical problem by doing a compression test and verifying the compression on 4 is about the same as the rest of the cylinders. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no individual coil to each cylinder. There are four spark plug wires.
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Then at this point you would want to verify you have good spark on that cylinder the same as the rest of them if so do a compression test to verify that there are no engine mechanical problems. If the spark is good and compression is good you can use carb cleaner to spray around the intake manifold to check for leaks, if no leaks replace the injector. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.