vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration

03 jetta: 1.8t..the timing belt..timing marks..tensioner

Customer Question

Hi. I've got an '03 jetta 1.8t. I had the P0011 code thrown and replaced the timing belt with 72000 miles on the car. All the timing marks were right on before and after the tensioner was released. When i reached about 800 miles with the new belt, it threw the code again. I'm planning on tearing it down to the belt and check the marks again but I don't think their wrong. Now i'm stuck and I've got to get it inspected quick or be fined! Do you have any ideas? Thanks.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwbugman replied 4 years ago.

Customer,

You are on the right track. Double check the belt timing. Also another thing to consider is the cam chain and tensioner. Sometimes the cam tensioner will wear down or become weak causing the cams to be off slightly on acceleration. There is a plastic foot on the tensioner. This is usually caused by low oil pressure caused by lack of oil changes and sludge issues . This may not be the issure but something to consider. Also the cam sensor could be faulty.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that I changed all the timing belt components. After I check the timing marks again, I was going to be looking at the cam shaft sensor. Is there any way to test it other than simply replacing it? Also, could you tell me just a bit more on the low oil pressure causing this? Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 4 years ago.
Yes a test can be done but it does not always show a problem. It more or less will show a problem when it quits. The low oil pressure deal is the 1.8 engines create more heat. If the oil was not properly changed at the right intervals and synthetic oil used, they had a tendancy to sludge up the oil pan blocking off the oil pump suction pipe. Low oil pressure could cause the premature wearing on the timing chain tensioner foot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just one more question and I'll be done. It has been about 6,000 mile since my last oil change. Do you think the oil issue could be a problem even though there have been all new timing components were installed in the car?
Expert:  vwbugman replied 4 years ago.
I recommend 5,000 miles max with synthetic oil. The timing chain tensioner I'm talking about is under the valve cover. I doubt it has been changed. You would have to remove the cams to do that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know I said one more, but one more quickie. Do you think an engine flush would correct the sludge problem if that was it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey, I removed the timing belt cover and the belt is pretty loose. it was very tight when it went on. I don't understand how it could have gotten so loose.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 4 years ago.
To check the oil issue, you need to remove the pan and clean it, the pickup tube and/or replace the oil pump. Now with the belt, did you replace the hydraulic tensioner or just the tensioner roller? you may have some faulty parts there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced everything. The pully, hydraulic tensioner, water pump, belt, thermostat. The belt was very tight when installed. It's now got quite a bit of slack in it and also leaking antifreeze appearing to be coming from the water pump.. I don't know. I'm thinking a/b taking it to the garage at this point... or running it off a cliff!!!!
Expert:  vwbugman replied 4 years ago.
Make sure you use a quality oem belt and quality parts. i use Continental kit of oem parts. Cheap belts and tensioners have a tendancy to stretch and malfunction. good luck
vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience: 35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your help. I ordered my parts from blauparts.com and they appeared to be authenic german parts. Thanks.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 4 years ago.

good luck..

rick