Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How much should a tune up cost for a 2002 1.8T (4 Cylinder)

How much should a tune up cost for a 2002 1.8T (4 Cylinder) VW Jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
A tuneup is not what you need, you have a problem with the vehicle that needs to be diagnosed and repaired. When your check engine light comes on it means the computer detected a problem with the vehicle and stored a related trouble code and when the light is flashing it means your vehicle is misfiring which could be caused my multiple things such as a failing coil or fuel injector. At this point you will need to bring the vehicle to your local parts store so they can connect a scantool to retrieve the diagnostic trouble codes. With this code they might be able to tell you the problem or you can write it down and reply to this answer at anytime even after you accept. With the code I can give you possible caues, testing information, and repair instructions. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok - I will take it to Autozone in the morning. My mechanic (after the description) told me that it was probably one of the coils that had gone out and that I probably needed a full tune up - but he quoted the cost for this "tune up" at $350, which seems high since the coils are approx. $26.00 from Autozone. I will see if I can get a code pulled first. Thank you - I will write again when I have more information.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I agree that is a little spendy considering this vehicle does not even have spark plugs and a tuneup would consist of a air filter and spark plugs unless he had other things in mind which you can do yourself if you wanted. Let me know what the code is tomorrow and we will go from there. Thanks again.