Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

i replace my instrument cluster on a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 and

i replace my instrument cluster on a 2000 vw jetta 2.0 and my car will start and them shut ogg and the sign of a car with a key stays on what could it be?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Customer

The car has a chip built into the key that is read by a small pickup coil in the ignition cylinder, that's read by the instrument cluster and then it tells the engine computer to supply fuel or not.

You have to have the new instrument cluster programmed by the dealership to your keys and the rest of the car. Only the dealer can do it, it should cost about an hour worth of labor, and you need to bring them all the keys you have for the car to have it done.

Unfortunately the best route to go when your cluster dies is to send yours off to www.bba-reman.com and have them rebuild your cluster for about $250 which makes it so you don't have to reprogram the system at the dealer, your mileage stays correct, plus it comes with a warranty so you don't end up having to buy a new one again in a couple years since instrument cluster failure is very common.

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is this solenoid that cuts of the fuel???because my car was stolen and the car has no cluster and i had the car tow to my house when they found it but right know it has no cluster and i just to the junkyard and got one for one hundred qnd i don't want to pay another 100 for towning to the dealer if there is any other way i can keep the car on so i can take it to the dealer so they can reprogram the cluster.
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
There is no other way, it isn't a solenoid that cuts fuel. The instrument cluster sends a message to the engien computer which then turns off the fuel injectors.

There is no way around this. Also you have to buy an instrument cluster with the same exact part number and letters as the original which only the dealer would be able to look up. The junk yard probably didn't even sell you the correct instrument cluster.

So to sum up, there is no way to avoid taking it to the dealership unless you have shops that specialize in JUST vw and audi. It's an additional $600 in software to be able to do it so nobody has it.

Let me put it this way, there are 6 - 8 shops within 50 miles of me that JUST do VW and Audi and not one of us has this software.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner