David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

1999 VW Beetle: a code of P0116

I have a 1999 VW Beetle with a code of P0116. What do you think the problem is?

P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Range/Performance

On this year vehicle the most likely cause is a bad coolant temp sensor. It can also come on if the engine is overheating say like a bad water pump or faulty thermostat. Normally we would look at freeze frame data to see what the temp was when the fault was set. If it reads -40 then the sensor is the problem

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Code reader sayes no freeze frame data stored in the computer.
Thats a little odd to have no freeze frame data. On this I would start with the coolant temp sensor as long as you know it is not overheating. The sensors are easy to change and cheap.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No one in town has a sensor so I can't do it until tomorrow. In the mean time can you tell me where the sensor is located?
The sensor is located on the coolant flange, if you look on the left side of the head, just nexd to the air cleaner you will see the coolant temp switch. Just follow the upper radiator hose to the head.