David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified

Engine code p0322, everywhere online says camshaft position

Customer Question

Engine code p0322, everywhere online says camshaft position sensor. Where is it located. It is a 2001 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8t
Category: VW
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

The sensor is located inside of the Timing Cover. See the picture below for the exact location:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought that was the hall sensor or timing sensor. I have read that the camshaft position sensor is located next to the oil dip stick. I replaced the sensor you are refering to.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Does the engine run?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, it will just turn over, like it isn't firing.
Expert:  David replied 7 years ago.

P0322 is not the cam shaft sensor but the crank shaft sensor. It is called the engine speed sensor, it is in fact located next to the oil filter housing remove the bolt and the sensor will come out, Its fairly simple. The harness at times can be a little difficult to remove from the holder. This is done from under the vehicle.