Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

po380 code and car starts instantly and runs great. New glow

Customer Question

po380 code and car starts instantly and runs great. New glow plugs in 6 mos agao too, What or where should I look? 97 jetti tdi
Category: VW
Expert:  jjsledge replied 7 years ago.

Hello

lets see if I can help.

P0380 code sets if the relay is malfunctioning or if the fuse for the glow plug blows if this code does not return right away after it is cleared then I would suspect the relay malfunctioning intermittently. if you have the VIN # XXXXX can find the location of the relay for you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it is a vw Jetta TDI 1997 Vin # XXXXX

If it is a relay then why does it work fine? Can I drive it and reset the check engine light with a bad relay? Is the relay part # XXXXX ?

Thanks in advance.

Expert:  jjsledge replied 7 years ago.

glow plug relay may not be making correct contact at times this may be why it seems to be operating correctly this code is set when the ecm does not see the correct signal from the control unit.

it is located under the dash on the fuse relay panel location #12 should have a production # XXXXX the top of the relay of 102 0r 104 the part # XXXXX listed is the glow plug control module .note I have seen them also locate this under the hood. near the cowl.

Edited by jjsledge on 9/30/2009 at 11:42 PM EST
Expert:  jjsledge replied 7 years ago.
If the relay is operating the code will clear, if it is not the code will most likely return after you cycle the key. if you unplug the coolant temp sensor so the glow time will be at its max you will be able to check if the glow plugs are recieving power from the relay when the coolant temp sensor is unplugged this will allow the glow plugs to recieve power for approx 40 seconds make sure the plugs are recieving 12volts if it does not replace the relay. if this has answered your question please hit accept so I can be paid for my advice
Expert:  jjsledge replied 7 years ago.

Please do not forget to hit accept so I can be paid for my advice

Thanks again

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't find the relay next to the fuses. Plus how do I find the # XXXXX spot? If with fuses I counted from both sides and found two 10 amp fuses that were fine. The square blocks (maybe relays had nothing with 102 or 104. I can look in the engine compartment. I don't remeber seeing anything like that near the computer under the cowling.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 years ago.

HELLO THIS IS EUROCAR!!!

THERE IS A GLOW PLUG MODULE IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT NEAR THE COOLANT BOTTLE MOUNTED ON THE FIRE WALL THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED

THE PART # XXXXXNNN-NN-NNNN

I BET THAT THE WHERE THE 2 POWER WIRES ARE MELTED ON THE MODULE ITSELF

THERE IS A FUSE THAT IS INCORPORATED W/ THE GLOW PLUG MODULE TOO

THERE IS A BIG POWER WIRE IT IS RED / WHITE

TRUST ME REPLACE THAT!!!

PLEASE PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON FOR THE CONSULTATION GIVEN

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND BONUSES GREATLY APPRECIATED

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am checking into it. Everything there seems in great shape. Nothing melted and the fuse is totally intact. Is the module the holding the fuse, and has a plug-in in the bottom?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 years ago.

PULL THE PLUG OUT AND SEE IF THE TERMINALS ARE BLACK OR BURNT

YOU MAY NEED TO OHM OUT THE GLOW PLUGS

U WILL NEED A DIGITAL VOLT OHM METER

REMOVE THE GLOW PLUG BRIDGE

MEASURE FROM THE TIP OF THE GLOW PLUG TO THE CYLINDER HEAD GROUND AND LET ME KNOW IN OHMS EACH OF THE VALUES OF THE 4

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK Can't do till SUnday or Monday. Thanks....
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 years ago.
OK LET ME KNOW