vwtech0405
vwtech0405, VW Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician VW Certified
22815973

my 2000 vw jetta starts and runs for only a couple of seconds

Customer Question

my 2000 vw jetta starts and runs for only a couple of seconds and then dies. No dash lights.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 4 years ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer have u checked fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. It's my son's 2000 Jetta (gas). We were away on vacation and just go back. He took it to a local import car repair shop late last week and was told by the guy that for starters the instrument cluster is "not responding" and he needs a new cluster for him to diagnose the problem any further. I started doing some reading on line and found another person who had the same problem but it turned out to be a key issue. I do not have the car right now. It is at the repair shop. I think that I am going to go and get it out tommorow and pay him for his time so far. He said that the instrument cluster is $1000.

My son told me that the car was running fine. He went to start it and it runs for about two seconds and then just dies. He said that he noticed that there are no dash lights.
It seems like u have an issue with the immobilizer system. wich is like ur antitheft system . If the vehicle has no dash lights when u turn the key on then u have to start there fix that issue first. It seems that the diagnosis was correct u would have to take care of that issue first . It seems like the price on the instrument cluster might be a little high
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What happens to the dash lights when the immobilizer kicks in? What should be showing?
When the immobilzer kicks in u will get a blinking light on the dash and the vehice will shut off right away
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I am going to get the car back in the morning. Is there a chance that the instrument cluster may still be OK? If it is the immobilizer, what is the solution? Note - we only have one key for the vehicle. I may have been a little premature in asking you the question without having the vehicle, however, I have to make a decision whether to have the vehicle towed to a VW dealer (about 40 miles) for a second opinion or back to our home if you can come up with a probable solution. What do you think?
If u have the immobilizer light coming on when the vehicle dies out then u can have a issue with just the key. The easiest way to see if u have a issue with a key is with a vw specific scan tool . Even if u have a issue with a key u will need to get a new key and get it reprogrammed wich can only be done at the dealer . So u might be out of luck and have to tow it to the dealer sorry hope this helps if i have answered ur question to ur satisfaction please dont forget to click accept thanks