Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

how do i replace a side mirror on a 2000 new beetle

how do i replace a side mirror on a 2000 new beetle?
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should help you

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Glass Replacement

CAUTION Always wear eye protection and protective gloves when removing or working with mirror glass.

1. Apply protective tape around the upper and lower edges of the mirror housing to protect the finish.
  2. Grasp the mirror firmly on the top and bottom of the mirror around the mirror housing.
  3. Carefully squeeze the upper portion of the mirror causing it to pivot to its stop.
  4. Using a suitable wide face, hard plastic prytool, or a sturdy 2 inch (50mm) paint or gasket scraper wrapped in protective tape, carefully pry the bottom center of the mirror upward until it releases from the bottom fastening lugs, then carefully pry at the top center of the mirror until the upper lugs release. If the mirror is heated, use a long needle nose pliers to carefully wiggle the electrical connectors off the back of the mirror.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Carefully squeeze the mirror glass until the base has bottomed, then use a suitable wide faced prytool to release the upper and lower retainers

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Once the mirror is released, if it is a heated mirror, disconnect the 2 electrical connectors

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. To install, seat the mirror onto its base and squeeze from the center top and bottom until it is fully seated

To install:

1. Seat the mirror onto the mirror base and carefully squeeze the top center and bottom center of the mirror until it snaps in place.

Power Mirrors

Removal & Installation
Motor

1. Remove the front door trim, as outlined in this section.
  2. Remove the mirror adjuster from inside of door trim (see arrows in illustration).
  3. Unfasten the cover bolt, then unclip the cover.
  4. Remove the insulating foam from mirror triangle.
  5. Remove the bolt and remove rearview mirror from the front door. If necessary, detach the electrical connector.
  6. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
    FIG : View of the mirror cover bolt (1), cover (2), mounting bolts (3) and mirror (4)

image

7. Fig. View of the mirror cover bolt (1), cover (2), mounting bolts (3) and mirror (4)

Removal & Installation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the interior cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Pull back the insulation

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the mirror support screws

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the mirror adjustment knob

8. FIG : Exploded view of the outside mirror assembly

image

9. Fig. Exploded view of the outside mirror assembly

1. On manual remote control mirrors, unscrew the adjusting knob.
    2. On electric remote mirrors, carefully pry the control out of the door and disconnect the wiring.
    3. Remove the inside door panel.
    4. Remove the cable control lock-nut or disconnect the wiring and remove the screws to remove the mirror from the door.
    5. Installation is the reverse of removal.

The outside mirror housing car be removed separately from the mirror assembly on 1998-00 Passat models and A4 models.

1. Pivot the mirror assembly forward to ease removal.
    2. Center the mirror glass in the mirror housing so the glass will not catch the housing cover when lifted upward.
    3. Insert a suitable flat blade screwdriver into the access hole at the bottom of the mirror assembly and pivot the handle forward and release the retaining clip, then pull the housing assembly upward.
    4. Installation is in reverse order of removal.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.