RobJackson
RobJackson, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Started working in VW/Audi dealership in 1999. 2009 Registered and Certified VW Tech. ASE Master
21042506

2001 VW Cabrio: that has no horn...the alarms work..relay..inspection

I have a 2001 VW Cabrio that has no horn...the alarms work and it beeps when I lock it. I've tried the fuse and the relay to no avail.

Where exactly is the horn that sounds for inspection puposes? Diagrams say there is one under the grill...there is nothing..only the radiator.
What else should I consider..short of an air horn?

Thanks for your help!
Category: VW
Expert:  RobJackson replied 7 years ago.
The horns are under the car behind the bumper on the pass side. Do you hear a relay click under the dash when the horn button is pushed. If you do not then the spiral spring may be the problem. That is the electrical connection between the steering wheel and the steering column. I would double check fuse 13 it is a 10 amp fuse. The high and low horn are just that. You have 2 horns in your car one is a high tone and the other is a low one. the seat heaters have nothing to do with the horns and are not related.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Rob,

No there is no clicking when the horn is pressed, I've had 2 guys checking this out.

Yikes..if it's the spiral spring, what do I do to fix the problem?

If it is the spiral spring then the steering wheel comes off and the spring is replaced. There are a few checks before you do that. first is fuse 13 good. Then if you already have checked the relay can you sound the horn if the relay is shorted terminal 2 to ground?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I've checked the fuse..it's good. The relay terminal 2 being shorted to ground..how is that done? (Is this the relay at the fuse panel? or is there another?) I've replaced that relay already as the parts store guy suggested that to be the problem.

Should I still try to short it? I will need specific instruction..my friend may know how to, but as of yet, we've been unable to locate the horn itself. It's late now and he is not here to help out.

Or should I go to the spring in the steering column? How is that done?

Thanks!

I wouldn't do anything with the spring unless you know exactly what you are doing becuase it involves the airbag. if you look on the relay you already replaced there is a picture on the side of the relay and it shows a sort of wiring diagram. you will see that each connector is labeled. terminal 2 get connector 87 plugged into it. If you take a jumper wire and insert it where connector 87 would go and then touch that to ground the horns should go off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will look further into this tomorrow evening..will try the terminal 2 connector 87 and a jumper wire. ..how long of a wire?

If it should involve the spring...are you able to walk us through that??

This car has been very good...unless she is very bad! (Hence the name Crabby!)

Lets try the wire first, i can give you instructions on the spring. just let me know first on the jumper thanks