RobJackson, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Started working in VW/Audi dealership in 1999. 2009 Registered and Certified VW Tech. ASE Master

03 passat starts and dies

Customer Question

03 passat starts and dies
Category: VW
Expert:  RobJackson replied 7 years ago.
Is there a light flashing on the dash at you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i do not see any lights flashing.
So the car starts up runs for about a count of 1-2 seconds and dies? Please check the fuel level.   If you have a second key please try that key. It may be the fuel level is too low and will not run but start. The key may be the imobilizer but it usually has a light that flashes when the key in turned on. If you try another key and the car starts and runs then that key was either never progammed to the car or the key lost its adaption somehow
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she dosent have another key.
the key was working fine.
its the flip key kind.
it opens and locks the doors fine.
how is the fuel level? What happens when you start the car with the throttle held to the floor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no change
it wont even rev
it acts the same as if i didnt hold it down at all.
is there a process to reprogram the key?
is there a way to bypass the imolbolizer?
If it was the imobilizer then the car would rev up atleast a little bit and then die like the key was shut off. So with the pedal not making any diference we can rule out the imobilzer. The next thing we need to know is fuel pressure. It sounds to me that the fuel pump is going out and will not build enough pressure to run.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it replacable without removing the tank?
yes but i wouldn't replace it with out testing it first. There is an access port through the floor in the trunk.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
whats the test.electrical and then pressure?
The electrical is easy. the fuse to the pump is in the fuse box on the side of the dash. It is in the lower left hand row third up from the bottom. IF there is power there while cranking then the pump has power to it. the other is pressure and you will need a pressure gauge for that.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have one what should the pressure be at when i just turn the key on and no crank?
also i just found three recalls on the fuel pump on the 03 passats.

if it recalled pump will they pay for tow also?

If it is recalled they will pay for the tow but if it is not the pump they will not pay for the tow. They will probably have you agree to pay for the tow and the diag but if it is the recalled pump then you wouldn't have to pay. If it is something else then you will have to pay. The presure should be about 44 psi when the car is cranking.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oounds good let me get back tommorow after the dealers call.

ok thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

im going to put the pressure test on it tommorow.
you win nine dollars.
Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i went out there
i cant find the fuel pressure fitting for testing.
i called the dealer and they said the recalls had all been done not long ago .and the fuel pump was one thing that got done.

also after looking at it again i see that the dash is out.
nothing comes on the gauges dont move nothing but just a yellow light that turns on and goes out.

again though the car will crank and start and then dies.

it has to be something thats not powering up the dash that has to do with it.

i checked all the fuses in the side driver box and all are good and none are missing.

is there more fuses hiden somewere maybe.
Ok I am looking at the wiring diagram and can only see two fuses for the system #15 and #18. There aren't any others. I need you to go to the car and check to see if anything else doesn't work. check everything that can be turned on and off. lights, radio, visor lights both sides, wipers ect. also do any of the guages work? I have a feeling that either the cluster has gone out or there is something else that causes the cluster to die. If the cluster doesn't work then the imobilizer is being activated because the cluster is the imobilizer control module.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
none of the gauges are working.
something is preventing power to the gauge console completly.

everything but the power windows are working.
I think you are going to have to take it to someone to remove the cluster and test it.