Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

How many miles can a well cared for 2004 passat gls last.

Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.

That's really hard to say but typically I think you'll get at least 200,000 to 300,000 miles out of that engine. If it's a manual transmission you won't have an issue. The transmission will probably only last 200 to 300k miles as well if it's an automatic. Also it depends on if they salt the roads near you or not. Let me just put it this way, the 1.8 turbo engine has been in cars since the late 1990's and I've never had to replace one due to old age. The most important thing with these is that you use full synthetic oil and do your oil changes on time, these engines had problems with the oil pump pickup plugging due to using normal oil and not doing oil changes on time.