Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', VW Mechanic
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

2003 VW Passat: a Double DIN Aftermarket Head Unit..Sedan..Stereo..bus

I would like to have installed a Double DIN Aftermarket Head Unit into my 2003 VW Passat (Sedan) with Monsoon Stereo. I understand that I need a can bus adapter to be able to do this. Can you tell me specifically what to order and where to buy it online or otherwise? I am considering the Kenwood DNX-9140 and other mid to top of the line head units.

For the new Radio I would use http://peripheralelectronics.com/ model VWAH Adapter:

graphic

You will also need Antenna Adapter like METRA Corp. Metra Electronics Corp. 40-EU55

Installation Kit would depend on how your Kenwood mounts & if you can use the Factory Radio mounts on the Kenwood.

You may also need Metra Electronics Corp. 88-00-9008 VW Pocket

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I go wrong with a Kenwood DNX 9140 Headunit and respectable JL Speakers versus competitors such as Alpine and Pioneer which seemed to have lower customer feedback and complaints. I understand that much of this is subjective, I plan on having this professionally installed, but at this price point I do not wish to make a mistake. Your feedback is appreciated in advance. Thank you for your excellent direction so far.
Regards,
Randy Gravitz [email protected]

(personally) I like Kenwood. Have been a Kenwood & Alpine Distributor for many years & Kenwood is hands down on Warranty & help.
(retail) Alpine has a large following & I would never try to sway a customer from Alpine vs. Kenwood, as Alpine does have some very nice Units

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Optional Information:
Year: 2003
Make: Volkswagen
Model: Passat

I am concerned about what will be involved in the custom Double DIN installation in my vehicle since it is not a true conventional double DIN installation and how much I may expect to pay for the custom install? Can I go wrong with a Kenwood DNX 9140 Headunit and respectable JL Speakers versus competitors such as Alpine and Pioneer which seemed to have lower customer feedback and more complaints. I understand that much of this is subjective, I plan on having this professionally installed, but at this price point I do not wish to make a mistake.