vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration

2001 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 A/C not working. I changed out the compressor,

2001 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 A/C not working. I changed out the compressor, receiver/dryer and expansion valve evacuated system completely etc. Blew cold for about 5 min or during charging and then stopped blowing cold and compressor making funny suction type noises and causing RPM's to be erratic intermittently. Changed out the compressor again with another OEM compressor and same problems?? My first thought could the expansion valve be defective or possible a bad receiver/dryer? What can go wrong with these? Thanks Peter

Do both radiator fans come on when you turn on the a/c? What are the pressure readings on the gauges?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The fans come on and the pressure on the low side was high like 50psi not sure what the pressure was on the high side i was observing a friend mechanic do this who is not a vw expert but a general mecanic his opinion was a blockage somewhere cause of the high pressure on the low side
I think you may have over charged it. Do you know how much freon he put in? It should be about 24.7 ounces. That low pressure is way to high. You should run about 30 to 32 on low at idle. High side should be about 225 to 275 depending on ambient temp. You must use scales or a charging system to get the accurate charge amount . there should be a sticker on the firewall or cowling. I think it is 700 grams.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The first time 2 of the small cans of R134 and the last time 3 cans with the same results. The cans are 8 or 12 oz i think not sure what the standard is but they are the small cans

2 ounces can make a difference. 2 12 ounce cans will be close. The only other thing that can cause this pressure is a faulty expansion valve or compressor. We need the high side readings also. Good pressure gauges are need to get an accurate reading. Both fans must be working also to bring the system pressures down.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Using snap on gauges and sanp on evacuator. Thanks Bugman I will take this info to him and try again tomorrow gotta be expansion valve cause switched out 2 compressors already and I will check to make sure both fans are operating also Thanks

have him try 700 grams or 24.7 ounces first. Get the high pressure and low pressure readings with that amount in it and let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks
ok let me know what happens.