David, VW Master Technician
Experience:  VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
5856072

My EPC (Electronic Power Control) Light came on..blink..owners manual

Customer Question

My EPC (Electronic Power Control) Light came on. It did not blink like the owners manual said. I have no idea the function or the purpose of this EPC.
Is it safe to drive and is there a easy fix?
Thank You, Customer

2005 VW
20.L
5 Speed
Category: VW
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
EPC light is typically caused by a faulty brake light switch. There are several other items that can cause this light to come on. The EPC stands for Electronic Power Control, it is a function of the electronic throttle. We have seen an extremely high fail rate of the brake light switch, and there is a recall for this on the MK4 body vehicle. Since 2005 was a slip year I am not sure if you have the MK4 body or the MK5 body. The recall only applies to the early body MK4
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK FOR THE LESSON.
DOES THIS MEAN THE BRAKE LIGHTS DON'T COME OR THE SWITCH WORKS THE LIGHT AND THERE IS A MALFUNCTION IN THE SWITCH?
THANK YOU
Expert:  David replied 5 years ago.
The switch is a two part switch one part controling lights and shift release on automatics, and the other a signal switch for the ECM. The problem depends on which side of the switch failed, noramlly it is the brake light side so the brake lights with either be stuck on or wont come on, and on the automatics you wont be able to release it from Park. It is possible for the ECM signal side to fail which will also cause the EPC light. Again that is just the main cause we see, it is also possible that some other item may have failed, MAF, or Throttle body fault codes will also set an EPC light. Normally You can have the vehicle scanned for fault codes to see what is triggering the light. Many larger autopart stores will scan for free. If you can get the P codes I can tell exactly what is setting the code.
David, VW Master Technician
Experience: VW Master Technician Certified for 9 years, ASE Master Technician Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry that I didn't let you know what was the real problem with my VW. It turned out to be the Throttle Body and the wiring that went with it. Someone cut the wires and spliced them together. VW did stand behind it only because it was done at a VW dealer. Thank god for the history that VW keeps on all work done in the dealerships.

Customer/p>
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Sounds like you have a good dealer that stands behind thier work. Glad you were able to correct the issue.

Thank you for the update. Thank you for using Just AnswerSmile