vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration

2000 new beetle remote for lock & alarm not working. doors

Customer Question

2000 new beetle remote for lock & alarm not working. doors will lock with switch on inside.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.

just so i understand completely, did you say the light on the left door does not come on when you open the door?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no light on door
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.

You have a faulty door latch assembly. It is electronic and is a common failure. But just to make sure there are no fuses out I am including a wiring diagram. click here. Check all the fuses to the comfort system and electronics. You may also have a bad battery in the remote. Reguardless the door light and interior light should come on with the door open.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
interior ligth comes on . the little red light on the door lock dont come on
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.
Check all the fuses especially the comfort control and alarm fuses. There is also a chance that there is a break in the wiring harness between the door post and the door in the rubber boot. Does the anti theft system come on if you lock the door with the key.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.
I feel like you have a faulty drivers door latch. The remote won't work if it is malfunctioning. The alarm will not activate also. I would suggest you have invest an hours labor to have diagnosed for sure before you start replacing the latch. It would cost about 300 installed. It really needs to be scanned with a vw specific scan tool for faults to see if there are any problems that could be associated with this. It's one of those problem childs where the latch is more than likely the problem but If not 300 is too much to spend on a guess.