Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I have a 2004 jetta gli 1.8t. Having problems with the engine

Customer Question

I have a 2004 jetta gli 1.8t. Having problems with the engine shutting down when I'm driving.
seems to happen when engine is HOT, vehicle is not overheating, all gauges are normal, Car will not start back up until it sits for about 2hrs or more. I recently changed the coolant sensor. Still same problem. Any ideas??
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 7 years ago.

this may be the crank sensor,,,these will do this when they start going bad...the parts store can give you a printout of its exact location

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Crankshaft Position Sensor Operation:

A magnetic or hall effect sensor that provides the computer with the engine speed and crankshaft position so proper injector sequence and ignition spark can be determined. It allows the ECC (engine control computer) to change injector openings as the engine RPM changes. It also signals the coil packs to fire the spark plugs.

To remove the sensor:

• Disconnect the wiring harness.
  • Unbolt the sensor mounting bolt.

If the crankshaft timing sensor or the camshaft reference sensor is removed, follow this procedure when the sensor is replaced:

• Thoroughly clean the sensor tip and install a new spacer on the sensor tip. New sensors should be supplied with the spacer installed.

Spacer on crankshaft timing sensor and camshaft position sensor.

• Install the sensor until the spacer lightly touches the sensor ring, and tighten the sensor mounting bolt 105