Jake, VW Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience with VW, Audi, BMW. Factory trained, former Shop Foreman, Service Manager

87 vanagon: fine..o2 sensor and the throttle switch

i have an 87 vanagon, automatic 2.1 waterboxer. I am having issues with it bogging down and blowing black smoke. It will start up and run fine but when i start to drive it, it won't respond to the gas and then blows black smoke I have replaced the o2 sensor and the throttle switch.
Category: VW
Expert:  Jake replied 7 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Typically this is a failed O2 sensor. If the condition existed before and after the O2 was replaced the green wire going to the O2 sensor is likely grounded to the ground shielding (part of the wire).

I believe you can still get a repair kit for this from VW. Or simply trace it back into the harness and look for the short.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the “ACCEPT” button by THIS answer.

Thank You!
Jake “The VW Doctor”