dan, VW Technician
Experience:  ase master tech, vw specialist

2001 Passat: gas filter..spark plugs..intake air..temperature sensor

I have a 2001 Passat that is getting hard to start when cold. I have replaced the gas filter, spark plugs, and intake air temperature sensor. It is still not working properly. Once the car is warm it runs fine.

Category: VW
Expert:  dan replied 7 years ago.
Have you checked or replace the coolant temp sender. It is located in a coolant flange on the back of the engine near the throttle body?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no, we have not replace it.

Expert:  dan replied 7 years ago.
There are two common problem on this vehicle that cause hard cold start one is the coolant temp sender giving a bad reading to the ECM. And another is in really cold weather the pcv system pushes water into the throttle body and freezes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this the same sensor that runs the temperature guage on the dash? The reason I'm asking is because guage in the dash works. Didn't know if there are two senors.
Expert:  dan replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is the same sensor but there are two parts to it. It is a green sensor that has four terminals on it. How cold temps are you talking about? Do you mean cold or just after sitting type cold?