John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

1999 vw passat: fuel door..power lock..the drivers door

Customer Question

I have a 1999 vw passat. Now the fuel door would not open. The power lock of the four doors except the driver's door is not working, either. Fuses are good. Then what the problem could be? The weather here has been pretty humid for a couple of months. Could the moisture influence the locks? Thanks.
Category: VW
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Helo

I would guess you have a failed power door lock switch in the drivers door, or the linkage in the door ha fallen apart and does not cycle the switching mechanism. The fuel door locks with the other doors. However, you should be able to open the trunk manually and find the fuel door release handle in the trunk. It will be in the area of the fuel door and a little behind it. Sometimes they are obvious, sometimes you have to search around a little but at least you can get some gas.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The garage people has looked for the release handle in the trunk but found nothing. Are you sure there should be this handle in there? Could you also please answer my questions I posted in the "already tried" part? Thank you very much!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

For the locking problem, I still think you will find the fault in the drivers door. Either at the lock switch or the lock mechanism. As far as what it will cost, I can't guess what the parts will cost until I know what part has failed and I don't know what they charge in your area, sorry.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I would like to go re-check the release handle in the trunk. The most important point right now is to get gas. I will go back to you soon.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still cannot find the handle in the trunk. Are you sure there is one? If I break the fuel door, how much could it be to replace it? I am in New England area. Thanks.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi. It's there, but they can be difficult to find. The best I could do is this picture of the area where the release is in the trunk on the right side. You may have to remove some carpeting on the right side panel.

graphic

If you break it and you need to replace the door, it will probably need to be painted also. If the actuator breaks it will be about an hour of labor plus the actuator motor itself. Your VW dealer can give you the prices on the parts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the pic. I think I did see the thing but do not know how to use it. Could you please show me?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Sorry. That is all the information I could find. From what I remember there is just a cable with a loop in the end that you pull to release the door. If you have an owners manual, it should show how to do it better than my repair manuals. Or, you could probably take it to a VW dealership and ask them to pop it open for you, I would hope they would do this as a courtesey. Afterall, it is their product :)

John, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Pull the loop. I will try. Thank you very much. Your patient answering are highly appreciated. Have a great holiday!

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX nice holiday weekend too!