vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration
13224258

Had the same problem with my 2000 VW Jetta. AC Compressor

Customer Question

Had the same problem with my 2000 VW Jetta. AC Compressor won't engage. My mechanic said it has something to do with the dashboard computer. He ran power to the compressor, and it was engaging, but it won't engage if you turn the air on from inside the car. Is this common in VW Jettas?
Category: VW
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.
Customer

We need to check a couple of things first.

The fan system is related to the a/c. Turn the key on , pop the hood, and turn on the a/c. See if both fans are running on the radiator. If not check the fuses on top of the battery in a square box. There are 3 green 30 amp fuses. The first one on the left controls the fans. Post back the results.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well...after taking the car home, things went back to the way it was three weeks ago. That is, the air works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. It's hit or miss.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.
If you get a chance, check the things I posted previously.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok...The fans weren't working, but those 3 fuses are ok. I have a repair manual that says to check fuse #16 in the passenger fuse box. When I did that...voila!!! The fans turned on without even turning the ignition on. My car keys were in my pocket. It is a 10 amp mini fuse, and I ran a circuit test on it, and I'm getting current. What next?
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.
From what I understand the radiator fans turned on without having the key on. Was the car hot or had it been driven?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I wasn't clear in my previous reply. When I took the 10amp fuse out, the fans turned on. Car was not hot, key was not turned. How does this happen, and what does this mean for my problem.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.
I believe that is normal. Put the fuse back, turn on the key and a/c and see if the fans come on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I put the fuse back. A/C and Fans still aren't working.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

You need to check current flow to the fans. Jack up the car and disconnect the fan plugins from each fan. Get a test light and see if you have current flow to the connector with the a/c on and the key on.