Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
13195203

2003 VW GTI: air bag sensor, drivers side..fault light..rear seat

air bag sensor, drivers side, rear, 2003 VW GTI, location? I have an air bag sensor fault light. I thought it was the one located next to the rear seat at the floor. Changed that one with a used one and the could not clear the code. Used one might be bad but what are the chances. Now I'm ready to change out the other one but can't figure out where it is. It's a large curved piece of metal. Is it at the floor under the seat or bolted to one of the pillars at the top?
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
Weldchickr,

What is the fault code number and complete code? The code tells yoy which sensor or component is bad.

The sensors are under the seat though.

Danny
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
G256 Rear side air bag sensor dr.s-

01638
Expert:  Danny replied 7 years ago.
This is the sensor on the drivers side basically under the rear seat. If the code won't clear there may be a wiring problem which would require overlaying the airbag harness. The sensors are interchangeable, swap the sensor from the left to the right side and see if the code changes sides.