vwbugman
vwbugman, VW Technician
Experience:  35 years experience on VW air cooled and water cooled repair and restoration
13224258

1967 VW beetle: clutch cable..needs replacing..apon pulling it..sleeve

Customer Question

I have a 1967 VW beetle, the clutch cable needs replacing, but apon pulling it out it got jamed at the u bend in the guide sleeve, any recomendations?
Category: VW
Expert:  Peoples Car replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

I added in the steps just in case it helps. Try twisting the cable as your pulling.

REPLACEMENT

1. Jack up the car and remove the left rear wheel.
  2. Disconnect the cable from the clutch operating lever.
  3. Remove the rubber boot from the end of the guide tube and off the end of the cable.
  4. On Type 1, unbolt the pedal cluster and remove it from the car. It will also be necessary to disconnect the brake master cylinder pushrod and throttle cable from the pedal cluster. On Type 2, remove the cover under the pedal cluster, then remove the pin from the clevis on the end of the clutch cable. On Type 3, remove the frame head cover and remove the pin from the clevis on the end of the clutch cable.
  5. Pull the cable out of its guide tube from the pedal cluster end.
  6. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pedal cluster has been remove and the cable disconected from the transaxel. The issue that I haveis the cable is jammed in the tube. It came out about 18" and then stopped. I want to say that the threaded end is wedged in the u bend of the sleeve. I'm not sure how to get it out.
Expert:  vwbugman replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Remove the clutch pre=load tube which is where it is hanging. It has some bend in it so it will take a little pressure to pull it out of the transmission sleeve on the engine side and then remove it. Replace this pre-load tube when replacing the clutch cable. Everything else the other expert gave you was correct. Install the cable and put the preload tube and wing nut on last. Just give credit to the other expert since he almost had you there.