Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

My vw 2003 Passats drivers side window is off track, wont

My vw 2003 Passat's drivers side window is off track, won't roll down. It rolls up part of the way, but it makes a horrible crackling noise and stops as though it's jammed. I took the panel off, but couldn't get far enough to see what's really wrong. Suggestions? I have stopped using it, because it is stuck closed now, which is of course better than down in Chicago!
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
Customer

You're going to need a new driver's side window regulator, it's cable driven with plastic anchors that hold it on. I just did one last week doing this and there isn't much alignment or anything. They just break. It's about $200 for the regulator and probably $200 labor to put it in at the dealer.

Danny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'd like to DIY. I am reasonbly handy. Can you explain how it's done?
Expert:  Danny replied 4 years ago.
Sure, you'll need triple square bits and a T20 torx, other than that you have gotten to where you need and didn't need any special tools. Right next to the door handle on the door edge near the lock cylinder is a plastic cover the size of a nickel. Remove that, pull outwards on the door handle, and loosen the T20 torx screw in the door until you can remove the lock cylinder. Then disconnect the small cable attached to the door handle from the door latch. Then remove the two 8mm triple square bolts on the door edge near the latch (this holds the latch on). Roll the window down far enough that you can access the two 10mm bolts through the rubber plugs on the door panel and then remove the window. Then remove all the 10mm bolts that hold the metal door panel on (this is what you are replacing.

Once you have the regulator out, you'll need to drill out the rivets that hold the speaker to the door and rivet it or screw it with sheet metal screws to the new regulator. You will also need to reach up behind the regulator and squeeze the wiring loom holders to pop the wiring harness off the panel. These are vapor barriers in essence so don't just break them off, they create a vapor tight seal. That's the gist of it, if you get stuck let me know.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner