Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner

2003 VW: Beetle..1.8T..manual transmission..that car is warmed up

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2003 VW New Beetle with a 1.8T engine and manual transmission. She has intermittent problems with the blue engine coolant light staying on or, more recently, just continuing to flash after that car is warmed up. The light has not gone to yellow or red. The VW dealership where she has the car serviced has told her not to worry about it as long as it is blue. My own experience is that I do not ignore warning lights. Might this be an engine coolant temperature sensor malfunction and will this problem affect the computerized control of the fuel (or other) systems? Should it be replaced ASAP?

Must the sensor be replaced by a dealer or can a backyard mechanic replace it?

Thanks for your help,
Greg XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: VW
Expert:  Danny replied 5 years ago.
Customer

If the light is staying on then either the temp sensor or the thermostat is bad.
The only way to tell is with a scan tool or to just replace both. This will affect
the fuel mileage and long term engine life but not cause any immediate damage.
The sensor is very easy to replace, anybody can do it, it is in the coolant flange on
the side of the cylinder head just held in by a clip. The thermostat is slighty harder to get to
Near the alternator on the block held in by two 10mm bolts.

Danny
Danny, VW Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1 Certification, Volkswagen Certified, VW and Audi repair shop owner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is great! I really appreciate the opportunity to get advice from an expert without dealership pressure to make unnecessary repairs.