vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 4 cyc 1.8 litter volkswagon engine in a spray coupe.

Customer Question

I have a 4 cyc 1.8 litter volkswagon engine in a spray coupe. The timing belt had to be replaced and I am having trouble getting it in time.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwnewton replied 7 years ago.
Hello, Jason here to help. I am familiar with the engine in question but not the vehicle.
The flywheel XXXXX XXXXXned up with the pointer in the bellhousing if a manual, or the O centered on the flat area if a automatic. The distributor points to number one area, but there is a actual mark in the distributor cap mounting lip.
The camshaft pulley may have several marks, the marks on the inside edge are the timing marks. A dot will line up with the valve cover edge on the front of the head. If you can see the cam with the oil cap removed, the two lobes for number one will be in the up position.
Let me know if this helps, or if more is needed. Jason
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If that doesnt work will a be able to contact you after I accept?
Expert:  vwnewton replied 7 years ago.
Dont accept until your question is answered. Just check those items, and reply. Jason
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be tomorrow before i have a chance.
Expert:  vwnewton replied 7 years ago.
Not a problem, I check my mail at work and will do my best to answer quickly once you reply tomorrow. Jason