Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

how long can I expect my 2002 VR6 last ?..timing chain..sprockets

how long can I expect my 2002 VR6 last ? I just had the timing chain and sprockets replaced.
Category: VW
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
These are good engines, the only expensive part of the maintenence is the timing belt. If your transmission is replaced the car should last another 80k before it would need any major repairs. You need to call around on prices of used transmissions, rebuilt transmissions, and quotes to have your transmission rebuilt then consider all of that information along with value of vehicle to decide if it is worth it. You may be better off selling vehicle as is, cutting your losses and upgrading to something that will need less money invested. Either way the final decision is up to you and either one would be a good decision depending on the circumstances. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is pretty good advice, I'll pay you if you let me know how many timing "belts" a mark 4 VR6 has and how many have you replaced.

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

I'm assuming your asking me this because I referred to the timing chain as a belt. But I know the the vehicle manufacture recommends changing the timing chain every 105k and they always have the best information. I have not changed a timing belt on this specific vehicle, but I have access to databases which report millions and random repairs and know what is common and worth replacing and have replaced timing belts before just not this vehicle. I can also tell you these vehicles have problems with the waterpumps and Catalytic Converter If you do not feel 100% satisfied with my answer I'll opt-out and let another expert who has changed the timing belt themselves give you an opinion. Thanks Again.